Monday, October 3, 2011

Problem Solving

One of the areas I see growth in for Jonathon is the area of problem solving. He encounters what he perceives as a problem and he is coming up with his own solutions. It may not be a practical solution but at least he's actively thinking about the situation and is showing concern for others. That is HUGE for people with autism. To think outside their world and to think of what others needs might be!

For example when my father in law, Ron, died a year and a half ago Jonathon was worried about Grama DeVries being by herself so he suggested his Uncle Kim, who was separated from my sister, marry Grama DeVries! That would've been an awkward wedding! LOL! Instead "Uncle Johnny DeVries" spent a good deal of time with my mother in law after Ron passed away.

Now with Grama Renner dying Jonathon is worried that Uncle Clayton or "Uncle Clankton" as Jonathon calls him, will be all alone. My uncle lives in an adjoining apartment from my Grama Renner. In these last years of her life Clayton was her primary caretaker. Jonathon with his problem solving has decided that "Uncle Johnny DeVries will live with Uncle Clankton." I guess he figures that Uncle Johnny DeVries took care of Grama DeVries after Grampa DeVries died so he should be able to care for his Uncle Clankton too!

I love how his mind works! I don't think I'll ever totally understand it, but he is definitely unique in his thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment