Saturday, August 6, 2011

Family Death

I haven't written in forever it seems. A little over a week ago my extended families lives were turned upside down when my 15 year old niece, Kimberley, died unexpectedly from a fall. As usual Jonathon just being Jonathon helped us through in a time of complete sadness.

Jonathon has so many aunts, uncles and cousins he has a hard time remembering everyone's names. When we heard about Kimberley I asked Jonathon if he knew who uncle Richard was and he responded "yes." I asked if he knew who Kimberley was. The tone of his response "I know her" told me he knew the seriousness of what I was about to tell him. I explained that she was hurt very badly and was going to die.

We had been out camping and had a good 6 hour drive ahead of us to get home to our family. Jonathon who is usually extremely talkative sat quietly while my sister and I made phone calls.

On the drive home my sister and I were in tears off and on. At one point Jonathon said "Mom-Vickie and Aunt Mary are crying and sad. I can help you smile." I looked in my rear view mirror and saw him with the most genuine smile he could muster. We're lucky to see a bit of a sheepish grin on his face once in awhile, so his attempt at a smile to cheer us up was much appreciated.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment