Thursday, December 1, 2011

Affection

The other day Jonathon and I stopped by my brother's house to see how he was doing since he had to work on Thanksgiving and didn't come home to our parent's house the day after. This would be my brother Richard whose daughter, Kimberley died this summer.

As Richard, Alison (Kimberley's sister) and I were visiting, Jonathon came up to his Uncle Richard and started rubbing/scratching his back. I was quite surprised as Jonathon doesn't just touch people. In fact, if people touch him he's worried that they have contaminated him with their germs!

Jonathon doesn't have the verbal skills to say "I'm sorry for the pain you have in your heart" but somehow he fought through his autism that day to reach out to my brother. It was one of those moments when I realized that somewhere in that beautiful autistic mind he can have more understanding than what is apparent.

I love those moments... when he reaches out from his autism and touches our lives with such great impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment