Thursday, January 24, 2013

I'm back! Haven't written in MONTHS. Not sure why, just not feeling it I guess. I am going to try to write at least once a week! That's my goal!

I last wrote in April. Jonathon was doing so well behaviorally after he turned 21 and was "done with school forever." Probably in August we started to see an increase in his daily "rumbling" behavior. We've had major blow ups, at least once a month, since September.

Our plans for Jonathon have always been that we would keep him home with us, as long as we were capable of meeting his needs. I am against institutional living, of any kind. I consider group homes, mini institutions, which is why I can't believe where we are... unsure of what Jonathon's future will hold. I feel a bit foolish for thinking we could do it. Or that we were, somehow, parents who would be able to beat the odds and keep him home with us for years to come. That we would be able to put him in his own home with care takers coming in to care for him. Was I being naïve, or hopeful, and what's the difference in this case? 

These past months have been difficult. Our hearts are heavy and broken. At this time we are unsure of what Jonathon's future will hold for him and for us as a family unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment