Sunday, February 20, 2011

SURPRISE!

Anyone who knows me, knows I can be a little ornery.  OK, quite a bit ornery! In my defense there are reasons to demonstrate that character trait to Jonathon, legitimate reasons. It is important that he learn the element of surprise and what that looks like, so what better victim, errrr, I mean subject than his Dad.
I would not describe Tim as a fix it person. It partially comes from years of living in military housing where everything is maintained by making a phone call. However, occasionally he will attempt the minor fix, and on this particular day we needed to move our thermostat downstairs. Not a big job, but an opportunity to teach and to learn.
I stood there and watched Tim for a bit and decided this was a teachable moment. A good parent always looks for a teachable moment! I recruited Jonathon to help me in my endeavor. We gathered our supplies (Pop Its), made a plan and headed back downstairs.
We stood and watched Tim, waiting for the exact moment, and then it happened, just as he touched the screwdriver to the wires on the thermostat… POP POP POP!!! It all happened so fast, but I remember Tim going up, Tim coming down and the entire time he maintained that googley eyed expression so he could demonstrate SURPRISE to Jonathon! Now that is a dedicated Father!

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! I see you've inherited the "mean gene" from your mother!

    Uncle Dick

    ReplyDelete