Friday, April 8, 2011

I can't do Glenrock!

For years, and I mean YEARS, every time we have left somewhere deemed desirable by Jonathon to come back to Glenrock we have had some serious meltdowns. Our departure has always been met with “I can’t do Glenrock!” “Glenrock hates me!” “Glenrock is going to kill me!” And on and on and on! It’s common for these protests to be accompanied by his theatrical death performance of his imaginary noose or the death grip of his strangling hands around his neck. (Of which, I figure he’s not going to choke himself to death, but he may pass out and then I’ll have a few miles of peace and quiet! Harsh you may say… hey, a parent needs a little ray of hope in the middle of this death defying drama!)    
The normal four hour drive back from South Dakota has taken us eight. We have dotted our way back, stopping at every small town from South Dakota back to Glenrock. I can tell you exactly what back roads to take to cut major time off your drive! Where you’re most likely to run into the highway patrol, by the way… when I’ve been stopped and they see the drama king in the back seat I’m usually free to go. I think they realize my sanity is on the line and if they hold this road trip from hell up any longer I could possibly lose it and then they’d have two people in need of a white jacket swaddling!
I thought, well… I was hopeful, with our impending move would come contentment, but, alas, it is not to be. I started to talk to Jonathon about moving and what does he say, “of course, I like it here in Glenrock!” “I CAN live in Glenrock!” This is the same guy who has acted out death scenes because he was certain his return to Glenrock would be met with death?! I refrained from saying, Are you kidding me!? Years of him being a little shit anytime we had to come back to Glenrock and all the drama from the backseat of the car has been replaced with… could it be… tolerance for Glenrock?!
I must say I’m not convinced that the drama over Glenrock has ended. This is an example of what Jonathon says not reflecting what he feels. I’ll apologize ahead of time in case you see me flying down the road, driving like a bat out of hell, looking a bit crazed… we probably just left a “good time” and my sanity is on the line!

No comments:

Post a Comment