Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Teacher's impact

I was reflecting on teachers who have had the greatest positive impact on Jonathon's life. The teacher who stands out above all others was, well, never actually one of Jonathon's teachers.
What could a teacher possibly have done to make such an impact in Jonathon's life when he never taught him? He, Mr Eager, took the time everyday to simply greet Jonathon. A simple "hello," "good morning," "How are you today?" made all the difference in Jonathon's middle school years.
Those years were excruciating for Jonathon, for our family. His behaviors were spiraling out of control due to puberty. A time when any teenager struggles, but for a child with autism who doesn't understand what is happening to his body it's even harder to deal with. To Jonathon, Mr. Eager's greetings meant I SEE you! I'm glad you are here! I enjoy you!  Mr. Eager had no expectations for Jonathon to meet. His greetings were not contingent on his behavior or academic performance. He was simply a friendly face in a turbulent environment. Jonathon needed to know someone wants me here and that person was Mr. Eager.
If, by chance, Mr. Eager ever reads this... THANK YOU! Two simple words that can't fully express our family's gratitude!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I co-run the autism blogs directory with my friend Kathleen, and I'm adding your blog under the family section.

    My 21 year old has autism that was once considered severe; he lives at home with us and attends a day center and volunteers at the animal shelter. My two girls have much milder autism.

    I hope you'll look at our directory and I'm looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. autismblogsdirectory.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete