Thursday, June 23, 2011

Three Minutes

This may seem insignificant to some people, but for Jonathon it meant PROGRESS!

Jonathon wanted Corn Dogs for lunch today. I told him "put the microwave on 3 minutes." Usually I would word it as "push 3, 0, 0, but I wanted to see if he could "get it" with different wording.

He looked at the microwave and his question back to me was "what does 3 minutes look like?"

WOW! For him to look at the microwave, realize he needed help and to choose that wording "what does 3 minutes look like" told me a lot about his visual thinking!

He was able to ask for help in his own words! Words not previously heard from me or anyone else helping him (echolalia), but his OWN language and he let me know he needed to SEE to understand!

Who would've thought Corn Dogs could be so exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment