Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Casper Moutain

I had a doctor's appointment today in Casper. When I told Jonathon he said "we like that Casper mountain to go up." I was surprised he mentioned Casper mountain as we don't go up there often. Since he (in his own way) asked to go and my only plans were to return home and work on the house I told him we could go up there for a walk after my appointment.

It was absolutely beautiful on the mountain. The trees are turning colors, the pine trees smelled wonderful and it was so quiet, well, as quiet as it can be with Jonathon in the woods! We walked around Beartrap Meadow and then up to the "Egypt Egyptian Pyramids" as Jonathon calls them. At first, seeing Jonathon climb the sand piles and sitting on the edge creating his avalanches, made me think of his developmental age of five. As he played on those sand piles today I saw developmental growth.

Typically he would go off and play by himself, not sharing his experience with anyone. Not that he has never wanted to, he's just not been able to, but today he talked to me about his play. What his play looked like to him. How when he rolled the clods of sand down the pile he was creating avalanches and how dynamite would make an avalanche and that it would look just like what he was creating. Of course, his explanation was in his own language and way of explaining things, but I knew what he was trying to share with me. He SHARED an experience! He wanted me to see his world through his eyes and to experience the joy he was experiencing. I can't begin to express how huge a step this is for him! HUGE! ABSOLUTELY HUGE!

I'm glad he suggested a trip up the mountain today. I think we'll have to go more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment