Monday, January 30, 2012

He Aint Heavy - He's My Brother

For all the siblings who carry a heavier load than most when their sibling has autism.

I found this in my husband's elementary school papers, which means it's like 40 years old at least, I thought it was a poem, but my older friends told me it's a song, originally sung by the Hollies.

HE AIN'T HEAVY - HE'S MY BROTHER


The road is long,
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where,
Who knows where.
But I'm strong,
Strong enough to carry him;
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.

So on we go;
His welfare is my concern,
No burden is he to bear,
We'll get there.
For I know,
He would not encumber me;
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.

If I'm laden at all,
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart isn't filled
With the gladness
Of love for one another.

It's a long, long road,
From which there is no return,
While we're on our way to there,
Why not share?
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all;
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Vickie, This is a great song. I remember hearing it on the radio when I was young. Lots of good artists have recorded it but the Hollies make me feel it. Here's the link on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KtScrqtbc

    ReplyDelete