Monday, January 16, 2012

Pretending

Coming home from our shopping trip in Casper (a 25 minute drive) I was trying to keep Jonathon off his movie talk. What a chore! Lately, he has been quite passionate about ‘Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs.’
We live in the part of Wyoming that does not have a lot of scenery to talk about. I can only comment on antelope and sagebrush for so long before Jonathon becomes irritated! Today I thought I would play  a game. I wanted to see what his idea of “pretending” would be. We’ve talked about “real” and “pretend” before, but today… he was not buying my game!
I said “hmmmm, if I could pretend I was an animal I would be an eagle! If you could pretend you were an animal you would be…” I paused for him to answer. His answer was “I’m a human boy. I’m not an animal.” I assured him I was aware that he was a human, but “if we pretend we are animals what kind of animal would you be? Like a dog or a cat? I would be a cat!” His response “I’m not a dog or a cat. I’m a human boy and you’re a human woman Vickie!” His agitation was increasing so I decided to drop the game. When we got home he said “I would be a cat with a costume” which is his way of saying “the only way you can be a cat is to dress up as a cat, because you are a human!” I know he’s thinking my Mom is crazy! She thinks she can be a cat but she can’t because she’s a human! 
He makes me smile!     

No comments:

Post a Comment