Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Search and Rescue

Here it is 11:30 p.m.. I should be in bed since I have to work tomorrow, but nope... I'm awake. Why??? Because the dreaded words have escaped Jonathon's lips once again, "I can't find my..." Tonight it's one of his MANY notebooks. I don't see sleep in my near future. I'd like to say this is an isolated incident, but sadly, it is not. We have been here before and I'm sure we will find ourselves here again.

I was thinking back on all of the "searches" we've done over the years and the one that tops the list would have to be the great search for Woody's cowboy hat.

Now before judging the lengths we go to when trying to locate a missing item keep in mind... the obsessing is UNIMAGINABLE! It consumes his thoughts, which in turn means after awhile of listening to the obsessing, I start to think a vacation in a padded room with a nice tightly wrapped white jacket would be nice, or at least... quiet!

Jonathon had many different  Woody figurines from the movie Toy Story that he had collected. He loved Woody's cowboy hats and still does. On this particular day, Jonathon had been out in the backyard playing, in falling snow, with Woody, when tragedy struck... Woody's hat was missing!

I looked around in the snow with Jonathon and Lindsey for awhile and then decided backup was needed. I called my sister who came over with her kids to help in the great search for Woody's hat. Tim came home from work to find us in the backyard with flashlights, examining the snow.

We searched until our hands and feet were numb and decided to give up the search till morning. After coming in the house and Jonathon being quite upset that Woody's hat had not been located, Tim grabbed a shovel and a flashlight and started shoveling through the snow! I believe it was around 10:00 that night when Tim came in victoriously holding Woody's hat! It took six hours to locate the hat! Tim actually shoveled our backyard, looking for a stupid plastic cowboy hat that was all of 3" in size!

I guess it's proof that sanity has no price!

No comments:

Post a Comment