Friday, March 25, 2011

Where?

Years ago, when Jonathon was first diagnosed we found ourselves at the beginning of the push for early intervention services. Jonathon got some, but definitely not what he should have. Here we are 18 years later, finding ourselves at the front of the pack again.
Where are the services for adults with autism? Where are the adults with autism? Certainly they aren't all living an institutional life? From the time Jonathon was 10 years old I have been asking those questions at every conference I have attended, fearful that we would get to adulthood and there wouldn’t be services. My fears are coming true.
Currently there is an even bigger push for early intervention services, which is great for those younger kids, but what about mine? I’m only one voice, but I want to SCREAM… ‘OUR KIDS DO GROW UP! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR OUR ADULT KIDS WHO AREN’T ABLE TO REACH INDEPENDENCE?! HELP ME! HELP MY SON! DON’T WRITE HIM OFF BECAUSE HE’S AN ADULT!'
I want more for my son than a group home or institutional environment, but without appropriate adult services and supports I feel his freedom slipping away.
I may be mad, I may be tired and I am heartbroken, but I will continue to fight for him to have a quality life.

No comments:

Post a Comment