Friday, November 4, 2011

Gone

Last night I took Jonathon down to his bedroom to show him the memory boxes I had put together for him to go to when he wants to "spend time" remembering his Grampa DeVries, Grama Renner and cousin, Kimberley, all of whom have passed away within a year and a half.

We looked at the pictures and talked about how he could put things in the boxes if he wanted to. He wanted reassurance that our hearts were alive and that we weren't dead. We came back upstairs, he sat down on the couch, turned to me and said "Grampa DeVries isn't coming back is he."

Jonathon's language is usually broken but this time he clearly stated what he knew to be true. I'm glad to see he is gaining understanding of death and yet my heart breaks for him. He has lost people who had great love for him... I think his statement was an acknowledgement of his loss.

I hope I can help him understand that he can carry that love with him throughout his life. He was and is very loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment