Sunday, May 29, 2011

Delaina

My daughter, Lindsey, worked in a residential home for people with developmental disabilities for a number of years. When Jonathon and I were in town we would stop by the home to see Lindsey and visit with the clients. That's when Jonathon acquired his admirer.

Delaina had beautiful dark brown shoulder length hair and dark eyes to match. When she was happy her face lit up and when she was sad her lip would hang pretty low. Communication was limited to squeals of delight or loud vocalizations to express her displeasure.

The first time Delaina saw Jonathon those brown eyes lit up and she started squealing! Her hands were outstretched and she wanted to get ahold of him! Jonathon on the other hand was not impressed! He has very sensitive ears so her communication style was an instant turn off.

After we had been there for awhile with Delaina fawning over Jonathon, and him covering his ears he'd had enough! He said "Delaina! KNOCK IT OFF!" To which Delaina's lips drooped and she sat quietly... for a few minutes.

Everytime Jonathon and I would stop in, Delaina had the same reaction to Jonathon and he to her! I thought Delaina was a nice young lady...  imagine my surprise when it turned out that Delaina was a cougar! She was in her forties while Jonathon was just 19! LOL!

Unfortunately Delaina's admiration was never returned by Jonathon. Sadly Delaina became ill and passed away recently. My heart is sad for her staff that cared for her when her family was no longer able to and I'm sad for her family, but my heart is happy for Delaina. I do believe in a higher power and I do believe that Delaina finally has her voice.

Rest in peace Delaina, rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment