Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Understanding

When you have a child with autism the word understanding takes on such a different meaning. As parent's we want understanding from others regarding our children and their actions. If we don't get it, we deal with it. Maybe not in the most effective way... I'll admit to flipping the bird on occasion. I'm not proud of it and feel horrible afterwards but it's so frustrating to be out in public, trying to deal with your child and then have some insensitive person make a nasty comment.
An incident that comes to mind happened in the movie theater a few years ago. Jonathon talks during the movies. I know it can be irritating but we were watching a children's movie and he was no louder than a child would be. Plus, my theory is we have a right to go out as a family and anyone around us who is irritated has a right to move! This man, sitting two rows in front of us, turns around and yells "shut up!" In my defense it had been a really bad week. This was the third time someone had commented to or about Jonathon and I'd had enough! I leaned forward between the two teenage girls sitting in front of us and said "you need to mind your own business!" Even in the dark, I could sense the girls uneasiness. I think they were afraid of being caught in the middle of a Mom smack down! So, to calm their fears, I leaned forward and loudly said "don't worry girls, I won't come between you two to KICK HIS ASS!" They got quite a chuckle and he didn't so much as even glance back through the rest of the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment