Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

Saturday I was having a discussion with Jonathon about Mother's Day. He said he would tell Grama DeVries, Grama Ferris and Grama Renner happy Mother's Day. We talked about how they were all mother's and that I was his mother. So, to make sure he understood (okay, I got a little carried away) I exaggerated that it was "MY DAY!!" LOL! I told him Mother's Day was the day to do something VERY NICE for his mom, a.k.a. ME! We discussed chores he could do and I emphasized that a foot rub or a back rub would be wonderful! He protested the foot rub, since feet are disgusting and all. I convinced him that a foot rub with gloves would be nice, but I wasn't holding my breath on getting that gift.
All day Sunday anything I asked him to do he was up and had it done in no time. Come evening I said "hey Jonathon am I going to get a foot rub?" He responded "with the gloves for the foot rub," so I got him gloves and he did it! It wasn't a lengthy session and he was only going to rub one foot, so I reminded him I did have two feet! It was over in no time, but the true gift came at the end. I genuinely thanked him for his gift and that it felt so good. Jonathon is not a person who smiles. His affect (facial expressions) are generally flat, which is common in people who have autism. After I thanked him, his face lit up and he got a sheepish grin! I could tell he was so pleased with himself that he gave me a gift that was all his own. It wasn't someone else buying something for him to just hand me, but it was an act that he did independently. My heart is so happy for him! I love knowing that he has felt accomplished! I am a very blessed Mom!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing how somethings as simple as a smile makes your heart soar! I got tears in my eyes just reading about the experience!

    Uncle Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this heart-warming story. Jonathon is very blessed that you are his mom!

    (I don't know why this says "Heath" and I am not technologically savvy enough to change it.)

    :) Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a smile says (and means) more then they can say themselves.

    ReplyDelete